Re: A question about coppercoat

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Paul,

We put Coppercoat on 10 years ago when we were in England .  In our first season we went up to Scotland and on to the Med and we have been in the Med ever since.

We were disappointed in our first season as the hull stayed a sort of brown colour  ( as originally painted ) and we had some fouling. We then sanded very gently and have not looked back.

We had some rust coming through on the iron keel after 5 years so we had  Coppercoat applied afresh  on that section by Cleopatra marina in Preveza in the Ionian. ( they did a very thorough job )

We now sail for 5 months of the year, April till June, coming ashore for July and August, then afloat in the autumn and ashore in the winter.

Our Coppercoat is now green. The copper has really come through and is completely effective against fouling. Someone had told me that Coppercoat gets better as the years go by. I took that with a pinch of salt at the time but today I share that view.  After three months in the summer we can detect a slime on parts of the hull but it comes off with a sponge when we are swimming.  Med sea temperature in the summer can get up to 27c ( 80F) and was still at 24c  ( 75F) last week.
When we lift we are as clean as when we launch. 

For us, with our limited number of months afloat, Coppercoat has delivered. For 33 years we antifouled, doing everything ourselves--sanding down, filling patches, painting etc etc. Now that our combined ages approach 143 ( Judy has just reached her 30's ) I look for every labour saving device to complement the best labour saving yacht we have ever owned. Coppercoat has proved one such.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry@...>
Sent: 29 October 2020 15:03
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] A question about coppercoat

Hi Paul,
I have gone 9 months and no problem. CopperCoat been on for over 3 years now.
On another issue. I have changed the the lifting pistons on my windscreen in preparation for replacement. Can’t get to Grenada yet. See photo. I put a centre attachment for easier closing. Calling it the “EZ Close” New pistons are each 150n. I have a 300n piston if anyone who has an early 54 with the single piston needs a replacement. I changed because I couldn’t get a 300n piston.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penrlope II”
Amel 54. #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique 

On Oct 29, 2020, at 10:30, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Hi all,

With Coppercoat, my understanding is that scraping should be done 2-4 times a year depending on where you are. My question is: does it matter of the hull is not scraped for an extended period, say 9-12 months? Would this make it any more difficult to clean the hull later? Or even be detrimental in any way?

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.