Re: Main Furler - Sail stuck / jammed

ngtnewington Newington

The trick I have found is to make sure there is plenty of outhaul tension. It needs to be tightly rolled in and out, always keeping the outhaul as tight as possible. Keeping a really good eye on it even when it is calm.
I have also found that there needs to be loads of downward tension on the leech.
On my 54 I use kicker tension in addition to sheet and track to keep that leech tension tight.
If for a moment I do not pay close attention then a jam ensues.
Ironically the stronger the wind the less likely a jam. Maybe it is the concentration of the mind rather than anything else.

Nick
Amelia
Amel54 -019
Leros Gr

On 29 Oct 2020, at 20:13, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

We furled too loosely and jammed once. We got ours loose the same way. Back and forth, tighten the furler, tighten the outhaul, loosen a bit, then repeat... a lot.

On Oct 29, 2020, at 2:04 PM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

Start by furling as tightly as possible then streach the out haul loosen and repeat

On Oct 29, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:

Do as Bill says and use the winch handle, but on my previous boat (not AMEL) the furling main jammed a few times - usually when rolled too loosely. I found it helped to pull downwards hard on the leach of the sail. You may need to release or slacken the short rope on the clew first. It may help too if someone can reach up and push the sail/foil inwards (away from the mast slot). Good luck.