Re: Main Furler - Sail stuck / jammed

Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>

Hello,

While in Fiji, SM007 and SM2K262 were parked next to each other.  JP had a problem with his main, it was not unfurling completely.  So I volunteered, and JP hoisted me up SM007's mast.  What we found amazed both JP and myself.  There was a fiberglass ring around the sail about 1/2 way down the sail.   So JP could only unfurl 1/3 of the main, and then it would get stuck.  Together we worked the ring back up to the top, unfurled the main and dropped it.  We found that the ring had separated from the Mainsail Swivel.  We were able to reattach the fiberglass ring back onto the Mainsail Swivel with some 5200.  This could have been a bigger problem if happened at a different time.  The Mainsail Swivel on Aquarius SM2K262 is different than that of SM007.  Aquarius does not have the fiberglass ring, so at some point there was a change in the Mainsail Swivel.  When dropping your mainsail on a Super Maramu, one should verify all the parts on the Mainsail Swivel are tight and well attached.  If you have this ring on your SM, I would suggest using some 5200 on it and make sure it never becomes a problem in the future.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

All the best,

Ken
Aquarius
SM2K262