Re: Genoa Chain Plate bolts Leaking in aft hanging closet

Ken,

I realize that we all use what we have available or can get when we are in remote areas, but, 5200? I am guessing if it seals the leak you have, you'll never get the chainplate off, and if it does not stop the leak, you will never get the chainplate off without taking some of the hull with it.

I hope that this seals the leak for you,
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 3:40 AM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:
1.  Remove Rub Rail starting from Aft.
2.  Remove all four lower bolts, then remove the upper single bolt holding the chainplate.
3.  Clean hole and bolt with acetone.
4.  Clean the Chainplate, Bolts, and Nuts.  Also clean the gelcoat where Chainplate will be attached.
5.  Verify no damage or pitting on all Stainless surfaces.
6.  Put good amount of 5200 into holes.  Use a small toothbrush or q-tip to make sure that 5200 is completely covering the walls of bolt hole.
7.  Made the same pattern of 5200 which was originally on the chainplate.
8.  Set the Chainplate in place and replace upper single bolt and nut.
9.  Replace the 4 lower bolts and nuts.
10.  Clean up the huge mess of 5200.
11.  Glue interior back together with 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive.
12.  Replace Rub Rail rubber piece, this was fairly easy.

Job, start to finish, should take about 3 hours.   if you have all the materials at hand.
1. 5200, Butyl Tape, or 4200
2. 3M SUPER 77 Spay Adhesive
3. Proper sized wrenches (two)
4. A friend that can handle some choice words, and he may also repeat these words, over and over.
5. Acetone.
6. Rags, and paper towels.
7. Large screwdriver to start the Rub Rail Removal.
8. Something like a screwdriver with a blunt face and a plastic hammer to push the Rub Rail back into place.