Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Paul,

It’s an easy task; arm yourself with a very sharp knife. Remove all the old packing. (I use a dental pick) Wrap the new material around the rudder shaft and cut diagonally at about 1 mm longer than needed. With a wooden block of suitable size (no wider than the groove), tamp down the first layer.  Add Teflon grease atop this first layer.  Do the same for the second layer ensuring the cut is 120 degrees away from the first cut.

Idem. For 3rd layer.

Install the white nylon nut and tighten accordingly.  Sea trial when able… retighten if needed.

Jean-Pierre Germain,Eleuthera, SM007 New Zealand

On 2 Nov 2020, at 08:45, Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

Eric, Bill, Danny, and Jarek,

Thank you for your replies.

I guess I’m going to have to cut the rings myself.

If anyone has any additional advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
On The Hard - Severn Yachting Center - Hayes, VA

www.RitaKathryn.com