Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

Olaf Bauer

Hi Paul,

Here is how I did it:

For the shaft packing  I used 70cm of PTFE Flax shaft packing 5/16” which have to cut into three pieces. Cut the corners at an angle for a better sealing.

I never remember the length of each part but you can use the old packings or the hole for measurement.

When installing the new packing coat them with silicon grease.

When taking into place be sure that the cuts are as fare away from each other for better sealing:

See also https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/AMEL%20SM2K%20Rudder%20Removal

Fair winds

Olaf

S/V Katchopine, SM2K 392