Bali Hai

Mark Garver

Fellow Amelians,

I am not sure who the current owners of Bali Hai are, but on Nov. 2 they abandoned her off Cape Hatteras as they were rescued by the US Coast Guard after their engine apparently failed.

Here is the article, also the USCG recently posted a Navigation Hazard report and stated the EPIRB is still pinging from the vessel as of this morning 11/4. They state it is a 52’, but as I recall Bali Hai is a Santorin.

UPDATE 0800 HRS WEDNESDAY, 04 NOV 2020: The USCG RCC Norfolk advised the EPIRB aboard the S/V BALI HAI is still pinging. As of 1246 Hrs UTC, 04 NOV 2020 the vessel was located in position 36 08.33 N / 071 26.67 W. This vessel should be considered a hazard to navigation and may not have any lights on at night.
CAPE HATTERAS, N.C. — The Coast Guard rescued two boaters from their 52-foot sailing vessel approximately 172 miles east of Cape Hatteras, Monday afternoon, 02 NOV 2020.
Watchstanders at the Coast Guard's 5th District Command Center received a relayed notification from the International Emergency Response Coordination Center regarding two boaters in distress aboard the sailing vessel Bali Hai.
The captain of the sailing vessel initially informed IERCC watchstanders that he had activated his emergency position indicating radio beacon after the vessel's engines had lost power and was concerned about staying aboard due to rough weather and high seas.
Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City C-130J Hercules aircraft and MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter aircrews were launched to the scene to assist the crewmembers of the disabled vessel.
Once on scene, the Jayhawk aircrew successfully hoisted both boaters from the vessel and safely transported them back to Air Station Elizabeth City.
No injuries were reported.

I just thought the group would want to know.

Godspeed Bali Hai!

Mark Garver
S/V It’s Good
SM #105