Re: Silicone BT seals

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

JP, I think this is good advice. Especially because it's the foam seals that really keep the water out, not the vertical shaft seal. Do you have a foolproof method to remember to put the pin in place while at sea/underway? That's the only risk I my opinion.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020, 3:40 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
FWIW... my seals are good for years.

My trick is to release the pin whenever we are in a harbour/ anchorage. The pin is in only during offshore passages. Saves the crush on the seals

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 6/11/2020, at 2:33 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

To all,

We had constant issues with our bow thruster and a small amount of water coming in. I followed the directions for the service to the letter and for a few months it would be dry. Then, slowly the drips began and over time would slowly get worse. I found myself having to change the seals every 6-months to a year.

I changed Jose’s seals in Galapagos before crossing tp French Polynesia. So far, the area is bone dry! 6 months now.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us