Re: Silicone BT seals

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Mike,

I’m very methodical in my checks before sailing away ... retired airline pilot.. and it involves all systems internally, in the engine room and on deck. Covers all bases.

Takes 10 minutes

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain,Eleuthera,SM007, NZ

On 6/11/2020, at 3:55 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

JP, I think this is good advice. Especially because it's the foam seals that really keep the water out, not the vertical shaft seal. Do you have a foolproof method to remember to put the pin in place while at sea/underway? That's the only risk I my opinion.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020, 3:40 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
FWIW... my seals are good for years.

My trick is to release the pin whenever we are in a harbour/ anchorage. The pin is in only during offshore passages. Saves the crush on the seals

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 6/11/2020, at 2:33 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

To all,

We had constant issues with our bow thruster and a small amount of water coming in. I followed the directions for the service to the letter and for a few months it would be dry. Then, slowly the drips began and over time would slowly get worse. I found myself having to change the seals every 6-months to a year.

I changed Jose’s seals in Galapagos before crossing tp French Polynesia. So far, the area is bone dry! 6 months now.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us