Re: Silicone BT seals

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Mark,

I'm referring to these external neoprene seals (two glued together). They should be slightly compressed when the locking pin is in, creating a watertight seal. Photo is from Nikimat ( https://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html ). An improved shaft seal, like the flexible silicone one, would only help in the effort to keep water out - so no problems there. Just saying the neoprene seals and proper tensioning/positioning of the locking pin hole is critical.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020, 4:03 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I don’t see how the main seal is pressured by the thruster assembly? Nothing touches it when the bow thruster is in the up position.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 4:41 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Silicone BT seals

FWIW... my seals are good for years. 

My trick is to release the pin whenever we are in a harbour/ anchorage. The pin is in only during offshore passages. Saves the crush on the seals

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 6/11/2020, at 2:33 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

To all,

We had constant issues with our bow thruster and a small amount of water coming in. I followed the directions for the service to the letter and for a few months it would be dry. Then, slowly the drips began and over time would slowly get worse. I found myself having to change the seals every 6-months to a year.

I changed Jose’s seals in Galapagos before crossing tp French Polynesia. So far, the area is bone dry! 6 months now.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of david bruce
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 7:33 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Silicone BT seals

Hello All, 
I am ordering 10 pr (min order size) of the silicone BT seals pioneered by Jose Venegas a while back. Although I have not used them myself they are apparently quite effective and I am anxious to install them on Liesse (if I ever manage to see her again).   I will have an extra 4 pr at USD 81.00/pr. plus shipping for anyone that would like a pair or two.  If you have specific questions about them I would refer you to the archives.  Private message me if you are interested.  Thanks. 
Best regards, 
David Bruce
Liesse
SN006

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.