Re: Cleaning fresh water tank on my SM2K

Karen Smith

Your trivia for the day....

The fish added to cisterns is usually Gambusia affinis the "mosquito fish" a close relative of the "guppy," and very similar looking.

I don't know about on Bonaire, but on some of the other Caribbean Islands if you have a cistern you are required to keep a living population of Gambusia, or treat regularly with a chemical larvicide to keep mosquito larvae in check. People chose one or the other depending on their own personal bias against fish poop, or chemicals!