Re: Furler motor to gearbox sm2000

Aras Grinius

On my Sharki, I have a problem with my swivel (top of the mast).  Turns out the swivel was locked up.  It caused the tnages to crack and shear.  More importantly it also made the motor work really hard to furl the sail..
I took it to a machine shop and I am going to have it duplicated ( it's 32 years old) since it was original equipment. Nonetheless, I would check to see if your jib furler might be part of the issue.,

Aras
Shark #163 1988

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 4:56 AM michael winand via groups.io <mfw642000=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks  Danny.
I will drop the main to check the top swivel.
When the furler stopped it was being unfurled.
I used the winch handle to put the sail away and it was very easy to rotate the foil.
The break looks like it's clean, ie not a partial break that has let go. But hard to tell.
I  normally keep the outhaul  slack when furling in and out. Tight in a few spots to keep the sail neat when furling in.  Not sure if this could be my fault?.
The ratio of the gearbox,  makes me feel that the shaft that has sheared is unusual?  I was a little surprised by what I found, I was expecting to find that the leroy somer gearbox pinion gears were worn out in a section that stopped the worm from engaging.
Regards Michael Nebo sm251

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 6:33 pm, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
<simms@...> wrote:

Friction causes over loading. So what are the posible friction points. Well there are the bearings in the gear box if they are not lubricated, a good starting point. But a much over looked one and more likely is the swivel at the topmof the sail. This gets encrusted with salt and can in the worst  case not rotate at all. It is more likely to be less extreme than that but can cause your problem. It will also cause the bolt hole a the bottom of the foil extrusion to elongate and even fracture. Solution. Lower the main sail to access the swivel. Thoroughly flush it with pressure fresh water, allow itv to dry, then liberally apply spay can silicon. This should be part of regular maintenance.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 November 2020 at 21:15 "michael winand via groups.io" <mfw642000=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:

Hi.I have encountered this problem with my main furler motor. I have sheared the shaft on the leroy somer motor where it enters the gearbox. Any suggestions on how I would be causing this problem?The gearbox is still working well. As I have it apart I will give it a full service. I would like to ask if anyone has been through this issue and what action is needed to fix this. I'm not sure if this is a design that allows the shaft to be replaced as a sacrificial item to prevent overloading?I have taken a photo of the issue. Apon removal it was still the original installation. The electrical brushes still have most of their length intact. Many thanks to the group Michael  Nebo  sm251

--
Aras Grinius