Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

James Alton

Paul,

  I am assuming that you are pulling packing from a bronze stuffing box?  If so, I normally use about a long #8 deck screw that will easily thread into the packing.  Only run it maybe 1/2-2/3  of the way into the packing and keep the screw centered as best you can.  Then using vice grips clamped to the head of the screw, pull with force parallel to the walls of the packing grove.  It helps a lot if you pull from a position that is close to the butt end of a packing ring so if the packing seems reluctant, just try and different location.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Nov 8, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

Good day all,

I’m having difficulty removing the old packing material.  I was successful getting the top ring out albeit with much difficulty, but I can’t seem to make much headway with the second ring and I imagine the last one will be even more difficult.

I am using a straight pick to loosen the adherence of the material around the perimeter of the rudder post, but the hook picks I am using to try to remove the material are bending and breaking.

I am trying to be careful so as not to damage the threads for the lock not and wondering if anyone has any tricks or suggestions.

Thanking respondents in advance for their time and wisdom.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
On The Hard - Severn Yachting Center - Hayes, VA