Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

Dan Carlson

If you are in the land of Amazon we ordered and used this little tool.

Best Regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe SM #387

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020, 3:28 PM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Good day all,

I’m having difficulty removing the old packing material.  I was successful getting the top ring out albeit with much difficulty, but I can’t seem to make much headway with the second ring and I imagine the last one will be even more difficult.

I am using a straight pick to loosen the adherence of the material around the perimeter of the rudder post, but the hook picks I am using to try to remove the material are bending and breaking.

I am trying to be careful so as not to damage the threads for the lock not and wondering if anyone has any tricks or suggestions.

Thanking respondents in advance for their time and wisdom.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
On The Hard - Severn Yachting Center - Hayes, VA