Re: Cleaning fresh water tank on my SM2K

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Clorine can damage stainless with long duration exposure.  The duration depends on penetration of the passivation layer of the SS.  Once the passivation layer is oxidized, the clorine will pit the SS and increase the risk of stress corrosion cracking.

At the concentration and duration that the group is discussing...we are talking about years to have a detrimental effect.  If one is concerned, you can always re-passivate with citric acid and restart the clock.

Just my two cents.