Re: Cleaning fresh water tank on my SM2K

Philippe BELLOIR

I confirm, chlorine is not friendly with inox, specifically with 304 type.

Some recommendations (temp, time and kind of inox) from dairy industry

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] De la part de James Alton via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 9 novembre 2020 14:21
À : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Objet : Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Cleaning fresh water tank on my SM2K

Dave and All,

   I wanted to add a caution and mention that Chlorine can apparently cause corrosion issues with stainless.  Since our stainless keel bolts, nuts and washers are located in the bottom of our water tanks, I am pretty leery about putting a bleach solution, especially a strong one in my water tank.  The soft scrub that I used did contain bleach but was rinsed away as the tank was cleaned to reduce the exposure.  If anyone with a more expert knowledge of the corrosion risks from using Chlorine in our tanks could comment, that would be helpful I think.

James

SV Sueno

Maramu #220

On Nov 9, 2020, at 7:46 AM, Philippe Belloir <pbelloir@...> wrote:

Sorry it’s in french, the file give all the recommendations for cleaning and disinfecting containers and pipes

Fair winds,

Philippe