From: William O'Toole <william@...>
Date: 11/9/20 8:12 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: "main@amelyachtowners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Silicone BT seals

Leslie,
This is exactly what I was hoping to find. Had a friend that actually had the anchor (not secured) dislodge in a short choppy swell. As he described it, it was so unexpected, and the retrieving it while underway, was an experience balancing between terrifying and hysterically funny. Always said a boat can instantaneously turn anyone into looking like a complete idiot in a second.

Thanks again for the great samples. Reduces the folly factor!

--
William O'Toole
President

On Nov 8, 2020, at 1:50 PM, Leslie Washburn via groups.io <washburn.leslie1@...> wrote:

William,

Here are a few samples that could be helpful.

SAMPLE #1

<image002.png>

SAMPLE #2

1 Before leaving marina / moving vessel
Anchor chain/line • Chain & line. Chafe ?
Anchor winch • Does it work/ handle available ?
Cockpit drain • Is it clogged ?
Compass light • Check it at night
Engine belts • Tight ? Worn ? Aligned ?
Engines • Inspection for leaks etc Spares
EPIRB • In date?
Fire extinguishers • In date / Charged
Flashlights • Do they work ? Spare batteries
Handheld instruments • Batteries good? Do they work?
Hatches • Do they close 100%. Handles, knobs etc
Instruments • Turn them on to check ?
Lifelines • Visual inspection for breaks etc
Lights • Interior, exterior & Nav lights. Spare bulbs.
Lockers • Make sure they lock shut.
Man-over-board gear • Check quick release and condition
Navigation lights • Easy to check at night
Outboard engine • You have spares ? Does it work ?
Ports • Do they close 100%. Handles, knobs etc
Radios • Batteries ? Do they work? Licenses ?
Safety equipment • Valid date ? Ready for use ?
Stanchions • Are they solid ?
Toilets • In good working order ? Holding tank OK ?
Clean Propeller • Dive and check
2 Before long ocean passage
Cockpit drain • Is it clogged ?
Compass light • Check it at night
Engine mounts • Visual inspection. Are they secure ?
EPIRB • In date?
Expiry dates • Ship papers/radio licences etc.
Fire extinguishers • In date / charged
Flashlights • Do they work ? Spare batteries.
Gas bottles • Rusty? Are they secure? Change hose ?
Odour?
Gas locker • Is vent hole plugged?
Handheld instruments • Batteries good ? Do they work?
Lifelines • Visual inspection for breaks etc
Liferaft • In date? Secure ? Accessible ?
Lights • Interior, exterior & Nav lights. Spare bulbs.
Man-over-board gear • Check quick release and condition
Navigation lights • Easy to check at night
Rigging • Visual inspection from top to bottom.
Roller furlers • Rinse, grease, visual inspection.
Free running ?
Safety equipment • Valid date ? Ready for use ?
Sails • Stitching. Chafe
Ship's papers - Visas • Complete
Stanchions • Are they solid ?
Wind vane • Check it out before you need it
3 Daily
Gas leak • Is there any odour near/under the stove/
pipes?
4 Weekly
Bilges • Is there water/ fuel present ?
Fuel leaks • Fuel in the bilge/ around the tanks ?
Underwater leaks • If salt water in bilges check all fittings
5 Monthly
Batteries • Acid level ? Clean terminals ?
Deck leaks • Check chainplates/hatches/ports etc. ?
Electrics • Run everything to make sure it works.
Spare fuses.
Engines • Inspection for leaks etc Spares
Fire extinguishers • Positions, mounting, in date ?
Flashlights • Do they work? Spare batteries ?
Gas locker • Is vent hole plugged?
Pumps • Do they work? Handles for manual pumps
Toilets • In good working order ? Holding tank OK ?
Seacock • Open / Close / Check movement

SAMPLE #3
ON DECK
  • Anchors are shackled and seized to rode, and there is some means of securing them to bow-roller / deck-chocks (or below deck) once you leave confined waters
  • Bitter end of anchor rode is secured to boat below decks
  • Chain hawsepipe is as watertight as possible
  • Deck storage cans for water and fuel are well-lashed
  • Deck-mounted dinghy is tightly lashed
  • Outboard motor is securely stowed on pushpit, in deck locker or elsewhere on deck where fuel cannot leak into boat
  • Outboard fuel securely stowed on deck or in a sealed deck locker
  • Rubber gaskets on hatches and opening ports are sound
  • Hatches and ports shut and dogged, hatch-covers fitted as appropriate
  • Deck-filler caps for fuel and water properly done-up and o-rings in good condition
  • Cockpit drains are clear and draining freely
  • Washboards are sound and handy (ready to fit when needed)
  • Lifeline connectors are in good condition and properly done up
  • Lifelines/stanchions are strong enough to support a heavy crewmember’s weight
  • Stanchions are secured with pins or bolts in their bases; bases are bolted securely through deck (not screwed)
  • Sharp knife stowed close to cockpit for emergency rope-cutting
SAILS
  • all sails inspected for rips, holes and broken stitching on seams
  • batten ends securely fastened and in good condition
  • sail slides in good condition (none worn, broken or sun-damaged)
  • Roller headsails furl freely and top swivel is working properly
  • Headsail hanks working freely
  • Comprehensive sail repair kit on board, plus spare sailcloth and strong adhesive for major ‘instant’ repairs
REEFING
  • Roller reefing lubricated and handle stowed in appropriate place
  • Slab reefing lines working and chafe-free
SPARS
  • No metal-fatigue, corrosion or chafe on load-bearing fittings such as mast crane and shroud tangs
  • Spreaders are secure at inboard end and correctly angled
  • Anti-chafe on spreader-ends to prevent damage to sails
  • Wooden spars inspected for shakes or areas of softness around fittings
RIGGING
  • Bosun’s chair is in good condition and stowed somewhere accessible in case of emergency
  • Rigging wire is sound: no broken strands, particularly around terminal fittings
  • Shackle-pins (aloft & on deck) firmly done up and seized
  • All shackles, terminals, turning blocks and mast fittings inspected for fractures, wear and pitting
  • Sheaves turn freely
  • Split-pins/rings in all rigging screws or turnbuckles (aloft & on deck)
  • Exposed split-pins are taped to prevent snagging of sheets, sails or passing legs
  • Rig is correctly tensioned: mast is in column and leaning neither to port or starboard
  • Chainplates inspected for cracks or corrosion
  • Hacksaw plus spare blades on board (for emergency rigging removal), and bull-dog clips for a jury rig
STEERING
  • Rudder has no excessive play
  • Wheel steering: cables are properly tensioned, lubricated and protected from interference by gear stowed nearby.  Inspect for broken strands.
  • Tiller is sound (no splits or cracks) and firmly secured to rudder stock
  • Self-steering is correctly set up
  • Emergency tiller has been tested and crew know how to find, rig and use it
HEAVY WEATHER GEAR
  • Trysail and storm jib have been hoisted and checked for condition, sheeting angles, tack strops etc
  • Rode, turning blocks and anti-chafe assembled and accessible for sea-anchor/drogue
  • Storm boards accessible for windows and skylights
DOWN BELOW
  • Seacocks are working freely; skin fittings in good condition
  • All through-hulls have tapered softwood bungs attached by lanyard in case of skin-fitting failure
  • Flexible piping is secured to through-hull fittings with double hose-clamps.  Hose clamps in good condition
  • All siphon-breaks and breathers clear and working
  • All movable items are stowed in lockers, fastened or lashed in place
  • Fiddles are in ‘offshore’ position
  • All drawers and locker doors have catches to prevent them flying open at sea
  • Lee cloths/boards for bunks are strong and have adequate fastenings
ENGINE
  • Overheat alarm/light is working
  • Drip tray under engine is oil-free
  • Fuel tanks are full
  • Fuel sumps and filters checked for water and diesel fungus
  • Oil is clean and topped up
  • You have enough spare oil on board for at least one oil-change
  • Cooling water through-hull and strainer are clear of blockages and growth
  • Drive belts inspected for condition and correct tension
  • Stern gland adjusted and lubricated
ENGINE RUNNING CHECKS
  • Cooling water is pumping
  • Throttle control and gear-shift are working correctly
  • No excessive vibration
  • Ammeter/voltmeter shows alternator is charging
POWER GENERATION
  • You have sufficient means of generating power to run navigation lights, house lights, instruments and any other appliances you wish to use at sea
  • Batteries are holding a charge
  • Batteries are securely contained in boxes clear of bilge-water
  • Battery terminals are clean, free of corrosion, and cables securely connected
  • Electrolyte level correct in battery cells (if not, top up with distilled water)
GALLEY
  • Galley-strap securely fastened, and strong enough to take a heavy crewmember’s weight
  • Stove has adequate fiddles to retain pans/kettle in rough seas
  • Gas bottles properly stowed; gas alarm working
  • Gas bottles, valves, piping and stove checked for condition
  • Sufficient food and stove-fuel on board for anticipated passage-time plus safety margin
  • All dry stores in waterproof packaging or containers
  • Rough weather provisions (snacks, instant meals etc) easily accessible
WATER
  • All water tanks topped-up and caps securely in place
  • Tank plumbing checked for leaks
  • Flexible water bladders protected against chafe
  • Manual fresh water pump working
  • Pressure water pump system turned OFF
  • Toilets tested and free of leaks
FIRE
  • Extinguishers are in good condition and mounted in places they can be accessed easily during an engine or galley fire
  • Engine fuel shut-off valve located and tested
  • Bucket stowed in cockpit or lazarette for use in engine-room fire or emergency bailing situation
  • Fire blanket is easily accessible (not buried in a locker)
LEAK MANAGEMENT
  • You have at least 2 bilge pumps on board, one of them manual
  • Bilges and limber-holes are clear of debris (so will not block pumps)
  • Manual bilge pump hose is fitted with a strainer
  • Manual bilge pump is strongly mounted and working efficiently, with handle easy to access in emergency
  • Electric bilge pump working (including float switch and panel light)
  • Electric bilge pump switched to ‘AUTO’
  • Bilges are dry (to allow monitoring of leaks underway)
  • Rudder tube and gland checked for leaks
  • All areas of bilge are accessible in case you need to inspect at sea
  • Crew are aware that head valves must be closed immediately after use
NAVIGATION
  • GPS is working and securely mounted
  • GPS waypoints double-checked for co-ordinate accuracy and datum discrepancies
  • Compass is correctly adjusted, with deviation card on board
  • Nothing metal or magnetic (tools, aerosol cans, radio, cameras) stowed near compass
  • Log, depth-sounder etc correctly calibrated and barometer set
  • Sufficient chart coverage of planned and contingency routes, as well as pilotage information
  • Plotting tools (pencils, dividers, parallel rules/protractor etc)
  • Hand-bearing compass and binoculars are secure but accessible
  • Relevant tide tables on board
NIGHT SAILING
  • Compass light working
  • Chart table light and galley light screened to avoid blinding watch-keepers
  • Waterproof torches (with fresh batteries!) available for use on deck or in emergency
VISIBILITY
  • Mast-head lights are working
  • Navigation lights are working (fore and aft); and positioned so they cannot be obscured by sails
  • Back-up navigation lights (battery) in case of electrical system failure
  • Powerful torch or portable spotlight within reach of cockpit (to draw attention to your boat when a collision is possible)
  • Fog horn is working
  • Adequate radar reflectors in place
RADIO
  • Radios functioning and signal checked
  • all crew are familiar with distress procedure (and/or instructions are taped near radio)
  • you have up-to-date frequencies and times for weather broadcasts
SAFETY
  • A jack-line of adequate breaking strain is securely rigged between cockpit and foredeck both sides (for clipping harness tether onto)
  • Deck is sufficiently non-skid, particularly the coachroof, foredeck and around the mast
  • You have sufficient hand-holds along the side-decks (if not, rig temporary ones using rope or webbing)
  • EPIRB tested, and batteries are in date
  • Liferaft is in date, large enough for the number of crew, and stowed securely in an accessible position
  • Liferaft tie-downs checked for sun-damage and chafe
  • Sufficient harnesses, tethers and lifejackets for the number of crew: all in good condition and located for easy access underway
  • Danbuoy, lifebuoys, upside-down lights etc firmly mounted and ready for deployment
  • A good supply of flares (the necessary number in date) stowed in waterproof containers
  • Waterproof ‘grab kit’ stowed for easy accessibility, containing useful items for liferaft or dinghy survival at sea
  • All crew are familiar with your Man Overboard procedure
CREW WELFARE
  • First aid kit: check adequate and waterproof
  • Offshore medical kit is comprehensive, with drugs in date, and waterproof
  • Do-it-yourself medical handbook onboard
  • Seasick pills, sun-block and painkillers easily accessible
  • Drinking water bottle handy to cockpit
  • Sufficient warm clothing, bedding and foul weather gear for all crew
  • Watch system and galley rota organised

SAMPLE #4

every day CHECKLIST

Chafe Detection - At least once a day we walk around the deck to check for chafe on the items listed:

  • Anchor ties
  • Pole guys and control lines
  • Jib/Yankee /Staysail sheets
  • Main halyard
  • Mainsheet
  • Reefing lines
  • Dingy tiedown lines
  • Jerry container tiedown lines
  • Mainsail at spreaders if we are off the wind'
  • Mainsail, Jib, Staysail tacks
  • Roller furlers
  • Main boom goosenecks
  • Windvane control lines