Re: Bow Thruster Amel 54

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Great as always. Thank you very much Bill.
Regards Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Montag, 9. November 2020 um 02:23
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow Thruster Amel 54

Hi Rudi, yes, you need to decouple the lower unit from the motor. In my experience, this will be difficult if it has not been decoupled in a few years. It will very likely require some heavy-duty mechanical pullers. It is likely that you will need to replace the soft coupling when doing this job.

There is an Amel procedure for decoupling the SidePower Bow Truster, but it is not very complete and probably will not help much. There is a SidePower publication as well. I wrote a procedure including some photos I took, my personal experience in doing this job, SidePower's information and the Amel procedure. It is in my Amel Book. However, you should be able to do this without my book, if you use the Amel procedure: (https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Bow%20Thruster%20maintenance%20A54/A54_Bowthruster%20flex%20coupling%20replacement.pdf).

If it is stuck, like I believe you will find, you will likely need the help of a machine shop and mechanical pullers.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 4:57 PM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:
Hi Doug,  - your post is great and helpful information. Thank you!

I have a question for the Group; - how can I change the seals of the Sidepower-BT?
Do I need to dismount the complete device to replace the Donut foam seals at the bottom?

Does anyone have a handbook how to proceed to change the seals including the lip-seals?

Thanks and best
Ruedi Waldispühl
WASABI A54-#55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Doug Smith via groups.io" <dugsmith98@...>
Datum: Montag, 2. November 2020 um 19:48
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

I wanted to add to the information available for the bow thrusters for Amel 54’s.  Mine wasn’t going up or down, and when it was down, it wasn’t going to starboard.  If you are having difficulty with your thruster or just want to understand it better, these files might help.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA