Re: Installing a diesel heater

Bill Shaproski

I had a diesel air heater on my 1995 SM before I sold it recently.  It is installed in the cockpit main port locker tucked up under the top of the locker.  It is difficult to access once installed since it requires complete removal of everything in the locker.  The diesel exhaust is through the hull.  I didn't use it much given that I was always in warm climates.  But I did use it in South Africa.  It has heating tubes running to the main cabin from under the galley area and exiting under the companionway stairs and to the aft cabin via the engine room and aft head.  Since I rarely used it, the two tiny diesel fuel filters would clog up when not in use and needed to be cleaned before first use.  One filter is on the diesel heater and one is on the fuel line in the engine room where it connects to the main diesel fuel line.
Regards
Bill Shaproski

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Hello!
Plan a trip to Nordkapp next season and need to install a diesel heater in our SM (we do not have the forced ventilation). I have searched on the forum but did not find the information I was looking for.
Location of a diesel heater could be in the engine room or in the large cockpit locker. You who have a diesel heater where is it located?
One could choose either air or a water distributed heater, advantage with the water distributed heater, easier to install the water pipe, but the heat elements takes large place. the hot air heater duct takes a lot of space as diameter is 90 mm or about 3½ inch.
So would very much appreciate you experience and recommendations when it comes to install a diesel heater
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259, Lagos, Portugal

--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787