Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

James Alton

Paul,

   I wonder if you might have had a deteriorated old style flax packing in your stuffing box?  That material will break down and become weak over time so does tend to break into pcs.  If you use a modern fiber packing I think that you will find that the packing rings will come out in one pc. as it is quite strong.   I am glad to hear that the specialty tool worked better for you.

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Nov 13, 2020, at 5:33 PM, Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

James,

I used your suggestion to get the majority of the second ring removed.  It worked, but it was a slow and tedious process as the material was only coming out in pieces,

Dan,

Thank you for referring me to the Palmetto 1101 tool.  I used it today to remove the last 25% of the second ring as well as the third ring.  What took me a few hours was accomplished today in about 15 minutes with this tool.  I highly recommend it.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
On The Hard - Severn Yachting Center - Hayes, VA