Re: Lithium Batteries under Consideration

Scott SV Tengah

Grant, that's a LOT of capacity! Since you're talking about prop shaft alternators, do you have an older Amel that runs on 12v or are you talking 900amps at 24v? We have 450ah/24v and go through roughly 200-250ah a day while on anchor. In general, solar provides that and a bit more - that said I'm not in the UK or Scandinavia. :)  My math was always that if I add more capacity and didn't have enough renewables, it would just lengthen the period between when I had to run the genset. Are you "balanced" on renewables vs. capacity?

FWIW - the Victron tech that I spent so much time talking to advised that if I was going to add more capacity, do it within the first six months as the batteries do age (despite marketing materials) and develop higher resistance and the new ones will absorb more charge, causing potential imbalance issues. This is one engineer's instruction so take it with a grain of salt, but I find it valuable because he was basically telling me NOT to purchase more of his company's products because I waited too long. So he hates his sales colleagues and/or he was telling me the truth.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69