Adjusting Ultraflex steering cables?

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

I have Ultraflex M61 ft 25 82 steering cables on my A54 and they're in need of adjustment. I believe these are the same cables in the SM. There's a bit too much play and well, Olivier's purchase survey stated that I should tighten them. Additionally when using the linear AP, there's a bit of a clunk that I've isolated to the steering quadrant end of the cables. The steering rack end is totally quiet.

Has anyone successfully tightened these cables? If I try to turn the large bronze nut, entire assembly rotates and it seems the cable does seem to tighten a bit momentarily.  But because black jacketed portion of the steering cable also rotates, once I remove my wrench from the large bronze nut, the entire assembly rotates back to the previous position.

I took the steering quadrant off and tried to rotate the end "toggle" that attaches to the quadrant, but that too will rotate back to the previous position if I try to tighten it.

Any help appreciated!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69