Re: A few questions while on the hard... SM23

Patrick McAneny

Mike, My boat is on the hard as well and I just filled the sonic hole with epoxy filler yesterday . I am not aware of any service required on the rudder hinges. You need to remove the third oil seal, there are many posts in the archives covering the installation of the oil seals . You should probably have a long look at the files and photos sections on the Amel site ,every subject concerning servicing every part of the SM has been covered ,and will answer many of  your questions. If not never hesitate to ask to group, there is hundreds of very knowledgeable owners more than willing to help you solve any issue you may have. 
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] A few questions while on the hard... SM23

Hello everyone! Our 1990 SM#23 is on the hard and we are tackling some maintenance items for the first time. Naturally, a few questions have come up that I would like to ask the group.

1. Does the rudder hinge require any service or greasing while hauled out? There are two stainless screws on the middle hinge, anything to do there or just make sure they are tight?

2. I removed the plug on the sonic speed transducer on the keel. It revealed what looks like a crack right above the transducer (photo attached). Should this whole void just get epoxy filled? The sonic speed is not working and we have no intention of getting it working. No water is making it into the hull as far as I can tell.

3. We are servicing the C-drive shaft seals and wear bushing for the first time since taking ownership. After removing the bushing and two seals, we find a third, smaller seal that is very deep and perhaps sealed in place. This is the older aluminum C-drive unit, but I'm not sure this seal placement is Amel original. Has anyone else with an older SM seen this? Any advice or suggestions? I was under the impression I should be able to look into the C-drive after removing the wear bushing and the seals that ride on it.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM#23
Opua, NZ

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.