Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Should any grease be used when packing in the new material from Amel?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 6:54 PM James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

   I wonder if you might have had a deteriorated old style flax packing in your stuffing box?  That material will break down and become weak over time so does tend to break into pcs.  If you use a modern fiber packing I think that you will find that the packing rings will come out in one pc. as it is quite strong.   I am glad to hear that the specialty tool worked better for you.

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Nov 13, 2020, at 5:33 PM, Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

James,

I used your suggestion to get the majority of the second ring removed.  It worked, but it was a slow and tedious process as the material was only coming out in pieces,

Dan,

Thank you for referring me to the Palmetto 1101 tool.  I used it today to remove the last 25% of the second ring as well as the third ring.  What took me a few hours was accomplished today in about 15 minutes with this tool.  I highly recommend it.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
On The Hard - Severn Yachting Center - Hayes, VA