Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

rossirossix4

Hi Mike,
The Amel packing is impregnated with what looks like PTEF.  Professionals I have talked with recommend some kind of grease.  It helps seal and helps you slide the packing into the gap effectively.  Any excess will be forced out when you tighten the nut down.  Some owners have been challenged with seating 3 layers of the material.  We have had good luck with Starbrite White PTEF Lubricant which we have aboard and use for many things.  If you have easy access to it..... http://www.starbrite.com/item/white-ptef-lubricant
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI  SM429