Re: Port sheet winch

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks again Nick. You have answered my question about the gearbox being oil filled. Did you replace the seals.

When you say you dropped the motor off were you able do remove the motor alone,or the motor and gearbox together leaving the winch in place. Or did you start drom the top and remove the winch first?

Thanks again

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 November 2020 at 21:32 "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Danny,
If you drop the motor and gear box be careful to keep it level as oil from the gear box can leak into the motor and then out and make a mess....been there!!
Nick
S/Y Amelia
54-019

On 30 Nov 2020, at 08:29, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
The motor looks pretty much the same as the motor for the windlass on my 54.
On my windlass I had a similar problem as you describe. The motor also got hot.
I removed it and stripped it down. It was clogged with carbon dust from the brushes.
I then put it back and it runs perfectly.
I suggest you see if the motor itself gets hot,  if so it could be the same problem.

Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019 Leros

On 30 Nov 2020, at 01:22, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill. It is drawing about 90 amps turning with no load so I suspect a friction problem but I will chase the control option first.

Kind Regards

Danny

On 30 November 2020 at 12:28 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Danny,

These are so reliable that there is very little experience in troubleshooting and repair. I have no experience and few owners have very little.

I don't know how to help, other than to say most issues have been control issues and not motor and gearbox. Please let me know when you find a solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 4:54 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Bill Yesterday the port sheet winch motor malfunctioned. When i tried to operate it  it would turn but in a few seconds slow to a stop as if it was overloaded. Obviously I immediately deactivated it. After a minute or so I tried again. Same result. Loaded or unloaded. The winch turns freely by hand and by winch handle so the problem is either in the motor or gearbox. Any suggestions. I have got under it and externally it looks fine. Do you know if its possible to separate the motor from the gearbox in situ. See photos attached

Thanks

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl