Re: Port sheet winch

ngtnewington Newington

Danny if I remember correctly the motor and gear box are fitted to the vertical shaft that goes up to the winch with a keyway on the shaft and the gear box is bolted up to the deck/winch. I do not know if the bolts holding the gearbox up are threaded into a plate or if you need to remove the winch to access the nuts. On the windlass it was quite easy to lift off the capstan and access the

On 30 Nov 2020, at 09:07, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Thanks Nick. I took the cover  off the brush mechanism. It is an oily mess in there with a gunge of catbon dust mixed in

 I dont know yet  if the gearbox has oil in it. If so I suspect the seal between the motor and the gearbox has failed and allowed oil to penetrate the motor. Brushes dont respond well to being covered in oil,it leads to short circuits.

So far I am working with the motor in place. I have yet to learn if it can be removed from the winch without dismatling the whole mecanism. I live in hope.

Thanks for your input.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 November 2020 at 21:29 "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
The motor looks pretty much the same as the motor for the windlass on my 54.
On my windlass I had a similar problem as you describe. The motor also got hot.
I removed it and stripped it down. It was clogged with carbon dust from the brushes.
I then put it back and it runs perfectly.
I suggest you see if the motor itself gets hot,  if so it could be the same problem.

Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019 Leros

On 30 Nov 2020, at 01:22, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill. It is drawing about 90 amps turning with no load so I suspect a friction problem but I will chase the control option first.

Kind Regards

Danny

On 30 November 2020 at 12:28 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Danny,

These are so reliable that there is very little experience in troubleshooting and repair. I have no experience and few owners have very little.

I don't know how to help, other than to say most issues have been control issues and not motor and gearbox. Please let me know when you find a solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 4:54 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Bill Yesterday the port sheet winch motor malfunctioned. When i tried to operate it  it would turn but in a few seconds slow to a stop as if it was overloaded. Obviously I immediately deactivated it. After a minute or so I tried again. Same result. Loaded or unloaded. The winch turns freely by hand and by winch handle so the problem is either in the motor or gearbox. Any suggestions. I have got under it and externally it looks fine. Do you know if its possible to separate the motor from the gearbox in situ. See photos attached

Thanks

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl