Re: ONAN replacement or not?

Arno Luijten

You can also consider buying a smaller genset. We have the 11kVA Onan and my biggest problem running it is creating enough load for the beast to keep it happy. If your interest is just to charge the battteries and run the watermaker a 4kVA should be sufficient. That saves money as well.
Overhauling the alternator alone does not make much sense. The engine @ 8000 hrs is likely to become a cost liability as well, even if the expected lifespan is 12k hrs. Don’t forget the age of the system also causes risks, not just the running hours. Things like exahaust elbow, heat exchanger, seal-rings, etc. age not just by running hours.
My guess is that a full overhaul is not economical viable unless you have access to cheap parts and labour.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna