Re: Water ingress close to the rudder tube

Martin,

You probably are aware that new rudder packing will need to be tightened in a few weeks.

I have seen this leaking before. As it turned out the reason for the cracks I saw were because of a grounding issue. Maybe you hit the bottom or some semisubmerged object. If I were you, I would contact Olivier Beaute and/or your insurance company. For your info, here is Olivier's contact information:
Olivier BEAUTE / ATLANTIC YACHT SURVEY
32 avenue des Corsaires
17000 LA ROCHELLE
Tel: +33 546 522 147
olivierbeaute@...
http://atlanticyachtsurvey.com
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 5:35 AM Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians

after renewing the packings of the stuffing box three weeks ago we recognized water ingress in the aft compartment of our 54. By drilling two inspection holes in the upper plywood cover we checked the compartment by endoscope camera. There are some black lines which seem to be cracks. We could locate three spots where water is creeping in. Two spots are more or less one inch in front and on portside of the rudder stock, the third spot is a dark area at the vertical plywood just in front of the rudder stock. This is close to the position where a copper element is entering the GRP in front of the rudder stock.

We had no grounding and as far as we know the former owner had no grounding too. Have anyone heard of a similar problem?

Martin
SV Mago del Sur - 54#40

currently Cherbourg