Re: BVI Fines for sailing I n BVI waters

karkauai

Here is the letter I sent to 9nfo at bvitourism dot com

I am a long time sailor and cruiser who has been to the BVI many times over the last 40 years, both as a charter boat bareboat cruiser and on my own boat. I have spent my vacation money there on charter boat rentals, marinas, boat repairs, supplies, restaurants, auto rentals, taxis, tours... I am compelled to write to you regarding BVI's draconian treatment of sailors straying into BVI waters.  I have spoken to several sailing friends who feel the same.

Until I hear that the BVI has apologized to cruisers in general and those treated so rudely specifically, charges have been dropped, and rules softened to include warning only for first offense of sailing in BVI waters, I will no longer be visiting your country or supporting your economy. I understand your concerns about Corona SARs 2 virus, but that doesn't excuse treating your life's blood so poorly. You are the dog biting the hand that feeds it.

Sincerely,
Kent Robertson
SV Kristy
USCG Certificate 1073851