Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

Dan Wilcox

Here's a picture of our Beta 85.  I extended the rail and reverse mounted the alternator (fuel filters were moved).

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend #86

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 01:45:54 PM PST, michael winand via groups.io <mfw642000@...> wrote:

Michael Nebo sm251  Australia

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 7:17 am, michael winand
<mfw642000@...> wrote:
We installed a beta 60. Did not have any problems with the physical size.
The gearbox is a tmc.
Beta power ratings are on the output flange of the gearbox. Compared with the Volvo at the flywheel. The beta has more torque than the Volvo.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 10:34 pm, Mark Barter
<markbarter100@...> wrote:
Hi Dan,

We are in a boatyard in Gibraltar to have our M80T replaced by the Beta 85T.

To cut a long story short, the Perkins is out and just as the fitter was about to have the Beta craned in he discovered that the Beta was too big. As I type he is trying to work out how the new engine and the engine bed can be modified to fit.

The Beta is stock from the manufacturer except that it came fitted with a large 175a Leece Neville alternator. Also, it has the wrong type of gearbox. It needs a dropbox apparently.

Do you have the photos you took when you replaced your Perkins?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Mark
--
Mark & Nicky Barter