Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

Matt Salatino

Nice! Where is the raw water pump? How difficult is it to change the impeller?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 2, 2020, at 4:17 PM, michael winand via groups.io <mfw642000@...> wrote:

We installed a beta 60. Did not have any problems with the physical size.
The gearbox is a tmc.
Beta power ratings are on the output flange of the gearbox. Compared with the Volvo at the flywheel. The beta has more torque than the Volvo.
<20190415_090043.jpg>
<20190415_090157.jpg>
<20190420_083603.jpg>

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 10:34 pm, Mark Barter
Hi Dan,

We are in a boatyard in Gibraltar to have our M80T replaced by the Beta 85T.

To cut a long story short, the Perkins is out and just as the fitter was about to have the Beta craned in he discovered that the Beta was too big. As I type he is trying to work out how the new engine and the engine bed can be modified to fit.

The Beta is stock from the manufacturer except that it came fitted with a large 175a Leece Neville alternator. Also, it has the wrong type of gearbox. It needs a dropbox apparently.

Do you have the photos you took when you replaced your Perkins?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Mark
--
Mark & Nicky Barter