Re: [Amel] Heading South for the Winter

john martin <symoondog@...>

Kent, I've done that trip many times over the last 35 years. Don't even think about going the gentlemens route. Its a real tough way to go. You will spend a lot of time waiting for weather, like months, And motoring most of the time into big seas. Bite the bullet,head to Bermuda to get your easting in, and then head for St, Martin's. You'l be there in 12 days. If you go to the Virgins first you will have a 80 mile bash to windward to get to St, Martin's, Better to pick up the Virgins on the way back. Also stop in the Bahamas on the way back, they are warm and beautiful in the springtime but are terrible in the winter. You should also consider the Caribbean 1500. They leave from Hampton Va, on the 2nd of Nov. Well organized with weather routing etc. I wouldn't leave the Chesapeake before the first week in Nov.{ think hurricane.} Going to Savannah is good because they don't get hurricanes, but you are going west when you want to go east. The Gentlemens guide is a wonderful book, I have read it twice. He's a great writer. I'm going to the States for a shoulder opperation this week so will have plenty of time to talk while recovering. E-mail me your phone no. if you need any more help.symoondog@hotmail.com John "moon Dog" sm248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: karkauai@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:27:36 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Heading South for the Winter

Hi, all,

I'm making plans for the trip South from the Chesapeake to the Caribbean and thought I'd ask for some advice. I've done a few 3-5 day offshore trips across the Gulf and up the coast, but haven't tackled the trip South yet. From what I've read a lot of people sail out to Bermuda, then South to avoid the upwind beat from the Bahamas down the chain, but I still don't have my SSB working (or have a good way to get weather that far offshore) I'm working on that, but haven't had much luck yet. I have a week in Oct that I could take her down to Savannah, then a month from mid Nov to mid Dec. I've ordered the book "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South", but wanted some advice from folks who've been there and done that. Just how "bad" are the two approaches to getting to the BVI from the E Coast?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kent

"Kristy" SM 243