Re: ONAN replacement or not?

Scott SV Tengah

I think I have been quite open and honest about what I like and my difficulties.  The post I wrote over a year ago about my saga with lifepo4 was entitled : "Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)". While it is true that I do love them after living with them full-time for two years now, I do think I've been quite open with difficulties or reservations. I believe Amel includes them as standard on the A60 and having lived with the batteries, I understand why.

Regarding your comparison to electric car batteries, you made the common mistake of mixing up the lithium ion in electric cars and your mobile phone with lifepo4, which is what we install in our boats. The former is much more sensitive/fragile/dangerous. In fact, Tesla is now claiming they're going to start using a breakthrough new battery that lasts longer, is cheaper and is much more durable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/tesla-and-the-science-of-low-cost-next-gen-ev-million-mile-battery.html

That "next generation" battery is called lithium iron phosphate - the same stuff that has been around since 1996 and the same type of lithium battery I have in my boat. Gotta love the power of marketing.

For Alex's case, let's assume he has 1000 hours of life left in his generator. With my modest 450AH bank and 200Amp chargers, I can fully (0-100%) discharge and recharge my battery bank over 400 times. That is assuming I have no solar and I don't have the 110 AH alternator on my engine. With the latter two, my experience and the experience of others with lifepo4 is that we're stressing about not running our generators enough.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69