Heater and fuel bladder

eric freedman

Hi Jeff,

Do you have the forced air system on Spirit?

It sue was cold North of the stream this year wasn’t it?

If you recall we use the commercial Nauta fuel tank with the fittings installed. The cheaper 50+ gallon one is porous.

We originally filled the tank using the galley garbage can and a Jabsco vane puppy pump.

It is quite simple ,and uses one hose with absolutely no mess. We fill the tank from a full garbage can using the pump until we have exactly 50 gallons of fuel in the bladder. While filling we “burp” the tank by reversing the pump electrically and rock the tank to remove the air bubbles in the tank. The hose has a locking ball valve which we put a cable tie through (McMaster Carr) when the tank is full . We then wrap the valve in foam rubber. We then tighten the tie downs very tight. The tank stays in place and does not move an inch. The secret is not to empty the tank until you need all the fuel.

We then just hook a hose on to the valve and open it . It will drain all by itself into the fuel fill. We then lift up the tank upside down to get the last few drops out of the tank.

I had an epiphany last year. Being that I have permanent auxiliary fuel tanks in the port life raft locker. I just fill one and pump it directly into the tank, no more garbage can.

I also had installed a fuel filter and pump  in line with the fuel fill via a “y” valve (thanks Ian and Judy) .

We filter the fuel before it goes into the tank.

With this filter we use a 2 micron filter as our primary filter in the Racor filter instead of the 10 micron and the filter is always very clean.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of JEFFREY KRAUS
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 7:35 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] 3 topics Smart Regulator Hydronic diesel heater

Good Morning Amelians,
I hope this message finds everyone well and happy throughout the globe.
I'm looking to install a smart external regulator. 
I'm looking into 2 currently.
a. wakespeed 500   Another Amel owner has installed this unit with good results, and I'm awaiting more information on it and it's installation.
b. ZM5  I recently got a return email from the company (located in New Zealand). Information pending.
Has anyone had any experience with the ZM?

I'm looking to install a diesel heater aboard.
I'm giving serious consideration to a hydronic system. One aspect of a hydronic system is that it can heat the boat without the heater operating while the engine is running, with the engine coolant circulating and providing the heat to the fan units, If anyone has used a bus heater, that's how it works. Without the engine on, the diesel heater warms the coolant in the lines. The engine, heater, AND the hot water system are in series, so one has the luxury of heating your hot water while the diesel heater is running also.
The particular system I'm focusing on is a Webasto 2010s.
It can have up to 4 fan/zones. I would install 1 in the main cabin, 1 in forward cabin, 1 in masters cabin, and 1 at the helm. The luxury of a heated helm  (within the enclosure ) would be nice. These bus heaters produce heat at a very high rate.
Has anyone had any experience with this, or for that matter any hydronic system aboard their vessel?

I recently ran Spirit back from Puerto Rico to NY on a solo run of what turned out to be 1600nm.
Before leaving, I strapped a fuel bladder (50gal) on top of the stern cabin. I bought 2 pipes each with a shut off valve. 1 a fill (larger to accommodate the fuel nozzle), 1 an outflow with a fitting to attach a hose to run into the fuel tank. I used a clear hose so I could see the fuel flowing. Once I knew I had used up more than 50 gal of fuel, I ran the hose into the tank, and while applying pressure to the bladder with my knee, opened the outflow valve, and the fuel siphoned into the tank, sucking all the fuel out of the bladder. It worked like a charm. I took off the pipes, and replaced the bladder caps, rolled the bladder up. and that was that. If anyone is interested in the bladder hookup and type, let me know.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on the 2 other issues.
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14
back in Shinnecock NY

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.