Heater and fuel bladder

eric freedman

Hi Jeff,

Do you have the forced air system on Spirit?

It sue was cold North of the stream this year wasn’t it?

If you recall we use the commercial Nauta fuel tank with the fittings installed. The cheaper 50+ gallon one is porous.

We originally filled the tank using the galley garbage can and a Jabsco vane puppy pump.

It is quite simple ,and uses one hose with absolutely no mess. We fill the tank from a full garbage can using the pump until we have exactly 50 gallons of fuel in the bladder. While filling we “burp” the tank by reversing the pump electrically and rock the tank to remove the air bubbles in the tank. The hose has a locking ball valve which we put a cable tie through (McMaster Carr) when the tank is full . We then wrap the valve in foam rubber. We then tighten the tie downs very tight. The tank stays in place and does not move an inch. The secret is not to empty the tank until you need all the fuel.

We then just hook a hose on to the valve and open it . It will drain all by itself into the fuel fill. We then lift up the tank upside down to get the last few drops out of the tank.

I had an epiphany last year. Being that I have permanent auxiliary fuel tanks in the port life raft locker. I just fill one and pump it directly into the tank, no more garbage can.

I also had installed a fuel filter and pump  in line with the fuel fill via a “y” valve (thanks Ian and Judy) .

We filter the fuel before it goes into the tank.

With this filter we use a 2 micron filter as our primary filter in the Racor filter instead of the 10 micron and the filter is always very clean.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376