Re: Heater and fuel bladder

Peter Luke

Eric,

How wise it it to burn propane in an enclosed space albeit with a slightly open companionway?

Propane undergoes combustion reactions in a similar fashion to other alkanes. In the presence of excess oxygen, propane burns to form water and carbon dioxide.
C 3 H 8 + 5 O 2 ⟶ 3 CO 2 + 4 H 2 O + heat

When insufficient oxygen is present for complete combustion, carbon monoxide and/or soot (carbon) are formed as well:
2 C 3 H 8 + 9 O 2 ⟶ 4 CO 2 + 2 CO + 8 H 2 O + heat

C 3 H 8 + 2 O 2 ⟶ 3 C + 4 H 2 O + heat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane#Properties_and_reactions

Does your CO2 or CO alarm sound off?

Appears that CO2 and H2O are byproducts - condensation & suffocating gas.

Regards,

Peter

On 7/12/2020 11:13 am, eric freedman wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Kimberlite came with a couple of blowers mounted under the port coming in my port locker.

I was hooked to ductwork to blow fresh air into the aft cabin, the main cabin , and the forward cabin.

It was very easy to hook an Espar heater into this system as the ductwork was in place. I don’t know if the 54 was supplied with this option.

If you do not have these ducts, then I agree that hot water with blowers is the way to go.

I think you will find pumping the fuel into the tank a lot easier than using fuel nozzle. You also do not get air into the bladder.

In the interim If you turn on the stove and open the companionway a crack it heats up the main cabin nicely.

Some old timers used to use red clay flower pots over the burners to act as radiators.

I am off to Kimberlite on the 12th and will return on the 21st

Dinner?

Fair Winds

Eric