From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of JB Duler via groups.io
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 6:38 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] New member, one foot in San Francisco, one in the Med

Hello all,

I wanted to introduce myself. I bought Bill Reilly's Meltem. What can I say? Just fell in love with her. Dealing directly with Bill instead of a broker was like day and night.

I have been around boats all my life, started with an Opti, then a 420, then a Finn with 470s and 505s. I still race a Laser at European and World championships.
I have also raced and cruised all kind of boats. My best memories were with my Swan 47. BUT no more teak decks for me (!).
Racing in the freezing cold and windy San Francisco Bay took a toll on me, hence a Meltem with cold beers, and in the Med will be a nice change.

On the business side I am an engineer and I have been in the insurance and software business all my life, throughout the world. Anything from owning a brokerage company to Exec or CEO of insurance companies, one of them I founded.

I hate to mix pleasure and business but I have to say I don't like the state of yacht insurance, and maybe Amel owners are a special breed. If anybody wants to discuss a self insured group, a rent a captive, just reach out to me. Totally doable and we will put our Mentor, Bill Rouse, as Trustee (Bill, I should have asked before).

I love the vibe of that group. Where do you find the time the find to maintain your boat with such a high standard?

I hope to meet some of you in person :-)
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco