Re: Heater and fuel bladder

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Yes there are but increasingly they are being recognized as being dangerous. In older homes that were less airtight, not as bad. But in the modern home with the modern attitude of shut everything up, very dangerous. It is all about volume. In a home with the internal doors open there is a reasonable volume. One room with doors and windows tight shut, very different.

Take care good friends.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 08 December 2020 at 09:49 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

There are indoor propane heaters. I believe they recommend leaving a window cracked 

~~~ ⛵️~~~ Matt

On Dec 7, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

There was a very sad case in New Zealand a few years back. It was four guys out on a mountain hunting trip. One night they were in a mountain hut and it was very cold so they brought the gas barbecue inside and left it running all night. In the morning three were dead and the survivor had his nose close to the gap under the door. Carbon monoxide is the killer I believe, odorless and the effects are insidious.

In the past on a previous boat I used the gas stove to warm us at 2 am after a race, but not any more

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl  

On 08 December 2020 at 07:14 eric freedman < kimberlite@...> wrote:

Peter,

I used the stove. The same one we cook on.  I seemed to have survived the use as a heater as I ran it for 1 ½ days

years ago before installing the Espar Heater.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Luke via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2020 7:41 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Heater and fuel bladder

Eric,

How wise it it to burn propane in an enclosed space albeit with a slightly open companionway?

Propane undergoes combustion reactions in a similar fashion to other alkanes. In the presence of excess oxygen, propane burns to form water and carbon dioxide.
C 3 H 8 + 5 O 2
3 CO 2 + 4 H 2 O + heat 

When insufficient oxygen is present for complete combustion, carbon monoxide and/or soot (carbon) are formed as well:
2 C 3 H 8 + 9 O 2
4 CO 2 + 2 CO + 8 H 2 O + heat

C 3 H 8 + 2 O 2 3 C + 4 H 2 O + heat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane#Properties_and_reactions

Does your CO2 or CO alarm sound off?

Appears that CO2 and H2O are byproducts - condensation & suffocating gas.

Regards,

Peter

On 7/12/2020 11:13 am, eric freedman wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Kimberlite came with a couple of blowers mounted under the port coming in my port locker.

I was hooked to ductwork to blow fresh air into the aft cabin, the main cabin , and the forward cabin.

It was very easy to hook an Espar heater into this system as the ductwork was in place. I don’t know if the 54 was supplied with this option.

If you do not have these ducts, then I agree that hot water with blowers is the way to go.

I think you will find pumping the fuel into the tank a lot easier than using fuel nozzle. You also do not get air into the bladder.

In the interim If you turn on the stove and open the companionway a crack it heats up the main cabin nicely.

Some old timers used to use red clay flower pots over the burners to act as radiators.

I am off to Kimberlite on the 12th and will return on the 21st

Dinner?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of JEFFREY KRAUS
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2020 6:40 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Heater and fuel bladder

Eric,
I'm not sure what you mean about a forced air system.
It was cold north of the gulf stream. I had a small propane heater for the trip. It worked but it was a temporary solution. 
That bladder looks like the same one I have. I got it from Roberto.
Best Regards,
Jeff 
Spirit Amel 54 #14 
Shinnecock, NY

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.