Re: Heater and fuel bladder

JB Duler

Please, please don't play with propane!!!!
Up in the California Sierras where we have our winter cabin, every
year we get one or two people who die in their van from bad stoves.
The typical story is that the snow is blowing, sometimes blocking the
exhaust or pushing bad air under the door where it finds its way
inside (because in this case the doors are not sealed well or there
are holes for wires in the chassis).
In our van we installed a very simple regular Airtronic D2 made by the
German company espar. We bought it online with heatso in the UK. The
Sprinter has something set up to get your fuel supply directly into
our diesel tank. You can do the same thing directly from the diesel
line next to the Raccor filters. Fresh air in (inlet in the cockpit in
a sheltered place), warm air out and exhaust away from that (outside
the hull). It is super efficient, powerful, takes hours to install,
and can easily heat the whole boat. If you want to heat the driver
area, super easy, you add a Y connector and a duct. Very, very
powerful.
If you are a solo navigator, just put the controls near the wheel.
At 2.200 m altitude we go from 20F to 75F in 15 minutes.
Even if you don't die, bad fumes will cause nausea and headaches (I am
not an MD).
Cheers,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 3:42 AM JEFFREY KRAUS <jmkraus@optonline.net> wrote:

Just a quick note regarding my use of the propane heater.
It wasn't left on for an extended period of time, I only had the screw on little canister, so it was used sparingly. It was brought for just such emergency use.
Unfortunately, the propane switch in the propane locker had failed, so the stove wasn't an option.
Perhaps we shouldn't use the stove aboard either, considering it too runs on propane.
Making the solo run, and north of the gulf stream within 75 miles of the coast, boat and ship traffic is very active, and it gets cold at night. It was November. From the entrance of Delaware Bay , north across the Fairways leading into NY harbor it was extremely active. I made that crossing at night. There were a bunch of draggers working the "mud hole", which is just off the harbor entrance, complicating the crossing. They haul back, turn, and go the other way indiscriminantly. Ask me how I know that. If you think I was down below long enough to drop dead of carbon monoxide poisoning you are mistaken. I was lucky to come down and light the stove and warm up for an hour.

Jeff
Spirit Amel 54 #14

--
John-Bernard Duler