Re: Gib Track Plugs

Mike Ondra

Hi Mark. As an alternative to consider, here’s a different approach. After thoroughly cleaning out the old material I filled the hole with white silicone. It tends to shrink while curing so I left a significant crown of material when filling each hole. Then after several days (maybe a week to be sure) of curing cut the silicone flush with a razor blade. Very clean result and it looks like new after 4 years. Have not had the “opportunity” to dig one out to verify adhesion. I would be very interested to hear of other‘s solutions.

Mike Ondra
ALETES SM#240
Rock Hall, MD

On Dec 8, 2020, at 10:09 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I am getting ready to tackle a project I have been putting off for a while. I need to replace the screw cover plugs in the genoa track. I would like to get this right the first time and not have to redo this.

I ordered plugs from Amel. I was sent white semi opaque plugs the exact size of the hole. I am not sure these are going to have much UV protection so I have a question to those who have done this. Did you cover or treat the top of the plug with something such as paint before installation?

I have some Dow 737 goop to seal the plugs (this was recommended on this forum). I do not think this has any UV protection properties, so again, the same question. How do I protect the plug?

Many thanks.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us