Re: Adjusting Ultraflex steering cables?

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Scott,

On my SM#23, the pole is threaded at the end and the eye fitting is screwed onto it. This allows for proper orientation and positioning of the eye so it can mount correctly with the vertical bolts of the quadrant. Maybe yours was over tightened when someone was working in it? If you can hold the pole and keep it from rotating, perhaps you can back the eye fitting off?

Or maybe my system is totally different than your A54... Figured I'd mention it just in case it helps.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
New Zealand

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020, 2:26 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
As these things go, it's never as simple as you expect.

Someone worked on it and tried to rotate the internal cable, with the toggle eye on the end. I surmise they rotated it multiple revolutions. This was their ill informed way of trying to adjust the cable tension. Now this internal cable's eye has set in a resting position that is 45 degrees off from vertical. That, of course, does not align with the vertical bolt on the steering quadrant. If I try to rotate the eye back, it will rotate but will bounce back to 45 degrees from vertical as soon as I release tension. If I rotate it a full 360 degree revolution, it clicks but keeps the same non-vertical resting orientation.

I emailed ultraflex and they said to just temporarily twist the eye and put the bolt in. Not comforting that we'd have that constant rotational tension as the cable moves in and out. They also suggested if I really wanted to align it, I could "Disconnect the cable from both ends and you should be able to push the shaft in and out while you turn the cable if you want it to move back into place." Not sure exactly what that means.

Any ideas from those who have more experience with this system on how I can get this fixed without damaging the cables? Do I simply twist the eye, install it and a few hundred sea miles will untwist the cable and orient it correctly?

-Scott

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 9:27 AM Scott SV Tengah via groups.io <Scott.nguyen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you Olivier! Exactly what I was looking for.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--