Re: VHF Cable Replacement

Scott SV Tengah

I did the same. New RG-8X from new Shakespeare antenna all the way to the nav station. The original Amel way is to have a junction at the base of the mast, presumably so you can remove the mast without having to take out the antenna wire. If I ever need to remove the mast, I'll cut the coax and put the junction on.  Earlier I couldn't communicate with the admiral in a dinghy 300 meters away and now we can hear USCG broadcasts up to 200nm offshore.

Connection at the antenna was taped with self-amalgamating rubber tape and then covered with 3M electrical tape. I even zip tied the electrical tape for good measure.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69