From: kimberlite@optonline.net <kimberlite@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Amel] Heading South for the Winter
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 8:37 AM

Kent,
the best crew i have ever gotten for a trip is from Offshore Passage Opportunities.
they are on the net . there is no membership cost to you for the first trip using their
members. speak to Hank,
mention my name.
Eric
sm 376 kimberlite

From: john martin <_symoondog@hotmail.sym_
(mailto:symoondog@hotmail.com) >
To: "Amel YAHOO GROUP" <_amelyachtowners@amelyachtowname_
(mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com) >
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 4:15 PM

Kent, I've done that trip many times over the last 35 years.
Don't even
think about going the gentlemens route. Its a real tough way to
go. You will
spend a lot of time waiting for weather, like months, And
motoring most of
the time into big seas. Bite the bullet,head to Bermuda to get
your easting
in, and then head for St, Martin's. You'l be there in 12 days.
If you go
to the Virgins first you will have a 80 mile bash to windward
to get to St,
Martin's, Better to pick up the Virgins on the way back. Also
stop in the
Bahamas on the way back, they are warm and beautiful in the
springtime but
are terrible in the winter. You should also consider the
Caribbean 1500.
They leave from Hampton Va, on the 2nd of Nov. Well organized
with weather
routing etc. I wouldn't leave the Chesapeake before the first
week in Nov.{
think hurricane.} Going to Savannah is good because they don't
get
hurricanes, but you are going west when you want to go east.
The Gentlemens
guide is a wonderful book, I have read it twice. He's a great
writer. I'm
going to the States for a shoulder opperation this week so will
have plenty
of time to talk while recovering. E-mail me your phone no. if
you need any
more _help.symoondog@help.symoon_
(mailto:help.symoondog@hotmail.com)
John "moon Dog" sm248

To: _amelyachtowners@amelyachtowname_
(mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com)
From: _karkauai@yahoo.kar_ (mailto:karkauai@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:27:36 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Heading South for the Winter

Hi, all,

I'm making plans for the trip South from the Chesapeake to the
Caribbean
and thought I'd ask for some advice. I've done a few 3-5 day
offshore trips
across the Gulf and up the coast, but haven't tackled the trip
South yet.
From what I've read a lot of people sail out to Bermuda, then
South to
avoid the upwind beat from the Bahamas down the chain, but I
still don't have
my SSB working (or have a good way to get weather that far
offshore) I'm
working on that, but haven't had much luck yet. I have a week
in Oct that I
could take her down to Savannah, then a month from mid Nov to
mid Dec.
I've ordered the book "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South",
but wanted some
advice from folks who've been there and done that. Just how
"bad" are the
two approaches to getting to the BVI from the E Coast?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kent

"Kristy" SM 243