Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

I believe the Beta 85 is a good choice for the SM or the 54. This engine does not have a computer with multiple sensors and is made with a reliable Kabuto 4 cylinder diesel engine. Several of my clients have purchased Beta engines and have had mostly expected results. The Beta 60 is going away, so if you are interested in the Beta 60 for a Maramu or Santorin, act quickly or you will miss out. Thank the EPA.

My clients enjoy a significant discount from Beta. Email me if you want more information.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 9:41 AM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dirk,

I can't think of a good reason to have two separate 12V alternators.  Charging a separate engine battery and a house battery bank can be handled in many less complex ways. Alternators are generally highly reliable, so a redundant system really isn't much benefit.  If you will have a lead-acid battery for the engine, with your lithium house system, a battery-to-battery charger would be the way to go.  That way you can program the B-to-B charger to match the charging profile needed by the other battery chemistry.

So... I would definitely go with the single large alternator.  Having Beta do the install is a lot simpler, since the PTO on the engine will be all set up for the heavy loads of the large alternator with brackets and mounting points all using their standard engineering.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA