Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

Dennis Johns

"Alternators are highly reliable".  If that were the case you would never see alternator/generator repair shops.  I've had my Maramu for 19 years and have replaced the house alternator three times.  It's electronic and the marine environment is not kind to electronics.  Each time my alternator has failed, all I had to do is switch the batteries to "both" until I arrived somewhere the alternator could be rebuilt (the alternator recharging the starter batteries could handle the entire battery bank -slowly but it could do it).  Never underestimate the value of redundancy, I'm quite sure Henri didn't.

Dennis Johns
Maramu #121

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 7:41 AM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dirk,

I can't think of a good reason to have two separate 12V alternators.  Charging a separate engine battery and a house battery bank can be handled in many less complex ways. Alternators are generally highly reliable, so a redundant system really isn't much benefit.  If you will have a lead-acid battery for the engine, with your lithium house system, a battery-to-battery charger would be the way to go.  That way you can program the B-to-B charger to match the charging profile needed by the other battery chemistry.

So... I would definitely go with the single large alternator.  Having Beta do the install is a lot simpler, since the PTO on the engine will be all set up for the heavy loads of the large alternator with brackets and mounting points all using their standard engineering.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA