Re: Port side Front Navigation Light unreliable

Craig Briggs

Hi Dan,
Just a word of caution about the iron backing plate. If you can't remove it completely, you may want to passivate what's left with phosphoric acid to prevent it from swelling up and distorting or even cracking the surrounding fiberglass structure.  I recall that when Bill Rouse owned Bebe he had the backing plates on the engine room supports swell up and damage the grp there. I've had the same issue at one of my aft stanchions where the original GPS antenna cable went through allowing water ingress.  The embedded and rusting backing plate actually cracked the grp gunnel open. At the time, Joel though I must have hit a dock, but, no, it was the backing plate swelling up. Huge force! I also had the same bow light issue as you describe and got just a minor bit of gunnel swelling before I dug it out and passivated what was left. Fingers crossed it doesn't progress, although the grp repair is pretty straightforward.

Best regards, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL