Re: Genua Furler on Santorin...stay electrical or go mechanical

James Alton

Volker,

We own a Maramu that has the original electric furling systems for the main and Genoa, all of which were functional when we bought the boat. These have proven to be quite reliable and are powerful.    Having observed and  also experienced  boats with the many trip lines needed to control the sails manually, along with the drag of the many blocks in the system, the piles of line in the cockpit  we decided conclusively to retain the original Amel  furling system.  Yes, the electric systems do require some maintenance and  having a custom part made since some parts are N/A but I think having fingertip control of the sails from the cockpit on a short handed boat is invaluable and one of the reasons to own an Amel.  

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Dec 24, 2020 3:21 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Genua Furler on Santorin...stay electrical or go mechanical

Hello Santorin or Maramu Owners,

I own a Santorin (SN 27) from 1990 which I am planning to overhaul. I bought the boat about a year ago, however due to Covid I was so far not able to do anything with her. The Genua furler is original (fully functional) but I wonder if its a worthwhile project going "backwards" and install a conventional furler instead to renew the entire electrical furler. I did not checked so far the price with Amel for a new electrical furler. My best guess is however that a conventional one may be far cheaper?

Does anyone have experience with such a conversion? I am a bit afraid that I mess with the entire design philosophy of Amel....??? 

I would be grateful for any ideas....pro & con's

Volker
Aquamarine (Santorin # 27), currently in Malaysia

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.