Re: Simpson Davits Amel 64 and Amel 60

Jaswinder,

If I am not mistaken, an Amel 64 has Simpson Davits and the Amel 60 has a copy of Simpson Davits.

I do not have a simple direct answer to your question, but here are several things to consider:
  1. The rated lifting capacities from the davit manufacturer (Simpson lifting capacities range from 150kg to 300kg per pair of davits).
  2. The rated weight from Amel because the attachment of the davits is an important consideration (unknown...check with Amel)
  3. How you will use the 60 or 64 with the dinghy on the davits.
Numer 3 above is probably the biggest issue with the Minijet tender. If you sail short distances in relatively calm conditions, you probably will not experience any problems. However, you cannot reduce the weight by removing the engine or fuel, so the weight is the weight. I believe if you are going to explore different parts of the world you may have an issue crossing oceans and in heavy seas, regardless of the rated weight of the davits or the installation of the davits. As the stern of the boat moves "smartly" in every direction in heavy seas the inertia of the tender will create a significant load (in every direction) that could weaken the davits, the installation, and/or damage the dingy as it moves. Completely stopping all movement of the dinghy in heavy seas will probably be an impossibility. There are plenty of owners who have successfully stored dinghies with outboards on Simpson Davits during ocean crossings. The problem with heavy seas will probably only happen with 5% or fewer passages and some owners never experience heavy seas and gale conditions. Maybe this is an acceptable risk for you. Maybe not.

Good luck, I hope this helps you.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 7:35 AM Jaswinder Chhibber via groups.io <rohtaki=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can Amel 60 or 64 carry a William Minijet tender
2.79m/9ft 2in
BEAM1.54m/5ft 1in
Dry Weight210kg/465lb
Overall Height0.83m/2ft 8in (0.71m in Low Profile Setting)
Engine60hp BRP Rotax Ace 900 Engine
Fuel Capacity28 litres

JasC

On Dec 27, 2020, at 06:52, Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171 via groups.io <dekoer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Good day Amel friends,

Does anyone have pictures of a Beta 60 placed in an Amel Maramu? I followed the story of Mark & Nicky Barter regarding their placement of a Beta 85 in a super Maramu. It hurts me to read what went wrong with their placement. I admire their perseverance. As far as I can, I want to rule out anything that could go wrong with the placement of our Beta 60. We intend to order the engine directly from Beta UK and have it configured there. On the advice of Bill Kinney, we intend to install a 175 Amp alternator at the factory. Can this be placed in the standard position or should it be placed on the other side as with Mark & Nicky? We plan to install 2 fuel filters so that we can switch easily in case of calamities if one filter is dirty. Does anyone have experience with this? I would also like to know what you think is the best configuration with regard to oil filter and water pump. In short, who owns an Amel Maramu containing a Beta 60 and would like to share his knowledge with me? I look forward to your response.

Kind regards and a happy new year,

Dirk Hazenoot,