Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Thank you all for the enjoyable conversation and debate.  Given how new to the Amel Michelle and I are, it is rare I have much to share that could be of benefit to the group.

Several comments have been made about the Beta being a "tractor" engine, and naturally subject to more vibration.  Unless the engine is an outboard, there is no such thing as a "true marine" engine.  The Yanmar 4J frame was developed for John Deere many moons ago under contract (as were most Yanmar engines).  If you bought a small frame tractor from JD, you got a Yanmar engine painted black or green.  That contract ended a few years ago, allowing Yanmar to start their allied equipment line of products.  Kubota has had the V1505 and V3300 (Beta 85) in production for years supporting their small frame tractor line that is seen all over Asia Pac and NA.  Perkins has a very similar story, except they liked to file for bankruptcy periodically until they were purchased by CAT.

My point...the marine market is too small to support the development of a marine engine.  They are 'all' derivatives optimized to varying degrees (and varying degrees of success) to support a marine contract.

Next, the issue of the BETA 85 install and vibration.  I am in FULL AGREEMENT with Bill on this one.  As someone whom spent many years designing equipment, using OEM engines and certifying them, the engine installer in the thread is terrible.  The more interesting question is did BETA recommend this installer?  If so, that could represent a product support problem.  If not, you can't hang this one on BETA.

In order for BETA to be sold engines and receive a Kubota warranty, they have to certify the installation design.  This includes building and testing all options presented to potential customers.  Note: They do not have to build the install on the boat...they can use a test stand.  The vibration spectrum of this engine is accounted for in the testing process.  The engine will be instrumented with accelerometers, run through the RPM/Load profile of the engine, and a specialty engine mount company will spec an engine mount.  BETA and Kubota do this work together....it is NOT dependent on the instillation.  If you are using the specified engine mounts for the installation and you have significant vibration issues, you have an alignment and/or coupling issue.

Just a fun side note....the certification process also covers emissions compliance.  Kubota, NOT BETA, has to certify to the US and EU authorities that the engine install meets the regulations.  They can't do that with a jacked up, half done piece of redneck engineering.  The BETA designs that I have seen look thorough and well thought out.  There is always room for improvement.  The challenge for BETA in this situation is we are a vocal bunch, the installer looks to have done a poor job and the name on the engine still says BETA.

Just my two cents.