Re: battery balancers /A54/ Victron AGM

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Alan and Paul,

best thanks for your input on the installation of the battery balancers, which i will pass to our electrician in the marina, as soon as the parts arrive here. The know how in this forum is almost unlimited, neural network, mhm? Great, thanks.

Dear Mohamed, apparently your inquiry about our hardtop has sparked further interest, as Brent and Peter indicate. So I'm welcome to respond throughout the forum:
No hardtop was ever built by Amel on a 54 ab shipyard to my knowledge, ours is also a custom build by the previous owner. in the youtube slideshow you can see all the details. may be also measures. He designed it, it was built in Turkey where he had stayed for a long time. I myself have neither drawings nor measurements, nor anything about the construction, there is no contact to the previous owners, so sorry. I mean to remember he had the HardTop built at Demir Marine Marmaris. All handmade and only the 3rd mould version has then fit. The sub-construction should consist of carbon and foam. Spotlights are mounted in the ceiling and LED strips on the edges. The upper small windows forwards can be opened to the outside. In the ceiling is also a plexi window, to control the mainsail.
We love this deckhouse because it provides perfect wind and weather protection, like a winter garden it can also be closed off sideways and aft with matching sunbrella canvas (with integrated plastic windows and mosquito nets.
This YouTube shows all details and equipment too, but sorry no construction drawings, so sorry!
Alian, your solution appears to me also very professional and versatile too. compliments.

Best wishes to all and THX
Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ / A54#088

<>

Ulrich,

I seem to recall reading that it is important that all the cables connecting the balancers are exactly the same in gauge and length.

Cheers,
Paul
S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ULRICH DANGELMEYER
Sent: 27 December 2020 13:34
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] battery balancers /A54/ Victron AGM

Hello Ameliens,
I hope you are all healthy and in good spirits, wherever you are. Inspired by some comments here about better battery condition and performance, I decided to install Victron battery balancers. We have a 54 #088, and replaced all 12 service batteries in Victron AGM 110Ah deep cycle this summer. Here I have the following questions specifically to other 54 friends who have done this optimization themselves:
- where did you install these blue boxes? Directly in the battery compartment or next to the bulkhead where all the cables and the main switches are mounted?Victron recommends mounting vertically, out of the battery vapor. since I can't get directly into the boat at the moment, I have no idea where and how to mount.
- 2nd question: what is the best way to wire? Victron recommends for 12 batteries 2 balancers connected in parallel. so 1 balancer between 6 batteries. If you have better pragmatic experience, I am very grateful. Since we do not know when we come back to Greece, I would with your recommendation then provide the electrician of the marina with the parts and installation instructions, so that he can install the balancers in the meantime optimally.
I have already asked twice at Pochon, Mr. Geniteau, who make the electrical installations at all Amel. But until today unfortunately no answer or feedback get. pity.
Therefore, I hope for your tremendous practical experience and exchange in this great forum and thank you very much in advance.

For 2021, wherever you are, I wish you only the best: health, happiness and fair winds.
Stay healthy!

Best regards
Ulrich
"Soleil Bleu" / A54#088

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.